Almost every self-confessed church techie that I meet seems to be an Apple fanboy. As a self-confessed church techie myself, I find it really difficult to find other people in the church who are also interested in Open Source Software. Frustratingly, pretty much every single blog I come across seems to fit the same profile:
- In a large church with lots of money
- Mac of some sort
- Talks about how to use various commercial tools
- Talks about how to get the church to pay for said tools
- Into Social Marketing
- Acknowledges Windows, but doesn't cater to it
- What's Linux?
Seriously. Name me any two prominent church techies who DON'T fit that profile.
Maybe I need to stop calling myself a church techie, since I clearly do not fit the profile.
- My church meets in the autidorium of a local college (for free), we use a donated laptop and the college's sound system
- I don't use Apple products as I disagree with Apple even more than I disagree with Microsoft
- I am a BIG open source software enthusiast
- I have a Debian Linux desktop computer at home, no laptops
- I have the CyanogenMod Android custom ROM running on my rooted Samsung Galaxy S3
- My church (obviously) uses OpenLP, and open source lyrics projection app
- I use open source tools for almost everything
- I use social media, I can do social marketing, but I'm not really interested in it
Can the real Christians in OSS please stand up?